Sunday, March 23, 2008

Peter Cotton-tail Came Hoppin' and Landon's Mess

I missed a week so there is a lot to update this week. We have had spring weather and along with it came a hail storm. Maybe it is another sign like the earthquake and meteor. I love storms with thunder and lightning, especially since I can park my car in the garage and watch safely from inside my house.


The reason I missed the blog posting last week was because Landon caught a mean stomach bug and couldn't keep anything down for 2 days...not even water. The poor guy lost weight and he was skinny enough to begin with! I was trying to take care of Sawyer and keep them apart while Landon wanted to be held and he kept throwing up. Landon even fell asleep next to me on the couch, which he has NEVER done. Needless to say, I did a whole bunch of laundry. Landon hates it when his special blanket has to "take a bath" and it had it's share of washes last week. We were glad when he got back his normal energetic self.
Easter is here and I made sure we colored our eggs and got all ready. It is tradition. Corinne helped Landon with the eggs but I think he got more on himself. We made cookies too and Landon just likes to eat the frosting.


My cousin puts on a Easter egg hunt and invites us to come and enjoy. Corinne likes it because he puts money in some of the eggs. She got $6. Landon figured things out this year and was glad to find candy in the eggs. He didn't care much about the money but he got $6 too.



We stayed for lunch and visited with the cousins. Beth was there too with her baby, and our cousin Emmie also brought her baby who was 10 days old. We had three little boys there whose ages are within 5 weeks of eachother. They all did us a favor and slept through the afternoon. We chuckled (and I was jealous) about how both Daniel (Beth's baby) and Owen (Emmie's baby) we so much bigger than Sawyer, even though he is the oldest. I guess baby fat just isn't in his genes. He'll be tall though! :)


Now for the trauma......
We came home from the hunt and were piling out of the van. Brian went to get the mail and I was getting the baby. Landon decided he wanted to help and without being asked he picked up the bowl we brought for lunch to bring it inside. I heard a loud crash of broken glass and mourned for a second the loss of my nice Pyrex bowl. Then I saw Brian dash across the front of the garage and scoop Landon up. He had tripped and landed on the glass as it broke. I quickly forgot about my bowl as I saw Landon was bleeding A LOT. We scurried into the house and to the sink to wash him up and assess the damage. I set down Sawyer and took Landon at the sink. I quickly found he had a very large and deep gash on his little hand and he would need stitches at the least. I remembered my first aid and wrapped up his hand and squeezed for dear life ("squoze" if you are Matto) and held his hand up. We gathered Sawyer and Corinne back up and got into the van and rushed to the Urgent Care facility down the street. Brian drove very fast. I hurried into the office and just said "stitches!" and they rushed us back. The cut was so deep that you could see all the fat and tissue. We were heartbroken watching our guy suffer through so much pain. He had to have 6 big stitches and he will have a monster scar. Maybe we can make up a cool story about how it happened for the years down the road. Brian and I lost our appetite for the rest of the day, and we felt so awful that Landon got hurt. It has been very touching to watch Corinne with her brother. She couldn't stand to see him get hurt. She has been very attentive to him and has made a coloring sheet for Landon and would sit and read books to him to try and make him feel better.



Now here is the lesson we learned. We are so lucky to be parents. Heavenly Father was so kind to give us this gift. We are able to catch a small glimpse of the love he must feel for us when we consider the love we have for our own children. Watching Landon in pain was horrible and I would have gladly taken that pain away from him if I could. It being Easter, we contemplate the incredible sacrifice of our Savior. I cannot imagine how it anguished Heavenly Father to watch His Son suffer for our sins and die on the cross. But how much he loves us that He allowed that to happen so we may return and live in His presence with our families. We can be so grateful to Jesus Christ for his love for us too, and the perfect example he gave. We are so thankful for His resurrection. I think when I see Landon's scar it will remind me of this Easter and also the wounds in Jesus' hands.

3 comments:

Pam said...

Yikes...Landon has had quite the week! I loved this post though, It's so true and thanks for the reminder that being a parent is the greatest gift!

Pam said...

Oh, I forgot to mention, I would love to take your family photos. Just give me a call. I'm still learning and getting experience, but I'll take all the practice I can get. And I'll do it for a great deal!

Matt and Tommi +4 said...

Ouch! What a rough couple of weeks that boy had. Poor kid. Give him hugs from us! We miss you guys.